Tuesday 17 April 2012

O is for OREO COOKIES!



Oreo cookies celebrated their 100th Anniversary on March 6, 2012. It has been around so long that our children are now born with the rudimentary ability to "twist, lick and dunk". Oh yes! When our grandson had his very first Oreo he immediately took it apart and started licking. He couldn't dunk because of the lid on his sippy cup (Yay for the sippy cup!) but as soon as he graduates to a regular glass I know he'll be dunkin'.
Dipr

Dunking is somewhat of an art. You can get step-by-step directions with pictures here.
There's even a gadget for dipping called the Dipr.

Oreos are actually a knockoff of the Hydrox cookie which was introduced 4 years earlier than the Oreo in 1908. It's said that the Hydrox cookie had a 'tangier, less sweet filling and crunchier cookie" which stood up well to dunking. Unfortunately, the general impression was that they were the knockoff of the Oreo.


The Oreo name has changed several times over the years. When it was introduced in 1912 it was called Oreo Biscuit .... then Oreo Sandwich (1921), Oreo Creme Sandwich (1948) and Oreo Chocolate Sandwich Cookie in 1974.

The formula has changed, too. In the mid 90's the lard was replaced with trans fat which in turn was replaced with non-hydrogenated vegetable oil in 2006. Apparently in Canada, coconut oil is used. I can't verify this 'cause I don't have any Oreos in the house right now. (for shame!)


In the States it is sold under the Nabisco brand and in Canada under the Christie brand as in, "Mr. Christie, you make good cookies!"

Did you know that some people deep-fry Oreos? I had never heard of this until today. You dip (dunk?) your cookie in pancake batter, deep-fry it, set it on paper towel and sprinkle with icing sugar. Hmmm...

Image shown is smaller than actual size - Thank Goodness!
The latest cookie which was introduced in the summer of 2011 is the Triple Double Oreo which has 3 wafer layers and 2 fillings; one chocolate and one vanilla. Open wide!

I'm hungry now .... gotta go. Have a Twist, Lick and Dunky Day!

PS - There are so many different Oreos out there. What's your favorite?

6 comments:

  1. I haven't tried any deep fried Oreos yet, but now I might have to. The original oreo suits me just fine, and I prefer them to Hydrox or any other knock-off. They remind me of a beach trip with friends when we ate them for breakfast every single day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mmmm ... oreos on the beach. A great way to start. Thanks for stopping by. :)

      Delete
  2. I have tried the deep fried Oreo, but it wasn't to my taste. I'm more of a vanilla person, not chocolate. (Which does mean I'm odd, I know).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chocolate isn't for everyone, nor is deep fried Oreo. I think I'd like to try it once, just to see what they're like.
      Thanks for visiting. :)

      Delete
  3. I like the original. And I would try the deep-fried one in a heartbeat! I wonder where they sell them?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love all Oreos, but I'm a double stuff fan. :D

    ReplyDelete