Monday 16 April 2012

N is for NASCAR

 

My husband and I are big Nascar fans -- especially the Sprint Cup. My husband knows and understands all the technical and mechanical stuff. I, on the other hand, do not.

I know the basics -- the pit crew looks after tires, fuel and adjustments to the cars, and they do it really fast. The cars race around the track counter clockwise, sometimes 3 and even 4 wide, which is really exciting.  There's a pace car used for restarts after a caution. Everyone follows him at a slow pace until he leaves the track and heads into the pits. That's when you can HIT THE GAS (don't follow him into the pits)!  There are spotters, crew chiefs and other people. That's about all I know detail-wise.

Yup, I may not know much, but I do know what I like and I like .... no.... love ...watching those cars go round and round for a couple hundred laps (or more). It's especially exciting when there are driver rivalries. Heehee! That makes for an exciting race!

Tony Stewart

 The drivers -- I love cheering for my favorite drivers and cursing the rest. Such fun! I have 2 favorites: Mark Martin (last of the gentlemen drivers) and Tony Stewart ('Smoke', great sense of humor).


Mark Martin
My backup favorites are Jeff Gordon (very nice person, does a lot of charity work, as do many of the guys), Carl Edwards ('Cousin Carl', down to earth), Greg Biffle (the Biff), Ryan Newman (great sense of humor, drives for Tony Stewart), Marcus Andros (nice Australian) and Kyle Busch (used to be very dirty, but he's calmed right down, he's been having a lot of bad luck lately, tho). If one of my backup favorites wins or is in the top 10, I'm happy., (top 5 would be even better).

My least favorite drivers are Brad Keslowski (he's getting dirty), Joey Logano (he mumbles and runs his words together, drives me nuts) and Juan Pablo Montoya (thinks he's it, or he used to, he's hardly an issue lately). If one of those guys wins, then I'm not too happy.

Who are your favorite drivers? Least favorite?


No comments:

Post a Comment